It doesn’t matter how many times you clean and wipe down – most homes will have an issue with mould at some point. Here’s how to prevent and get rid of simply.
What Is Mould?
This unsightly and sometimes smelly stuff is a major nuisance for many homeowners. Damp air leads to black spots along the grout in your bathroom and on patches of wall and can also lead to growths on wood. More worryingly, mould can be bad for your health, as it releases tiny spores which can cause allergic reactions, sneezing and runny noses.
Mould is a type of fungus which comes from microscopic spores floating in the air. If these spores land in a warm, damp place, they can grow into mould and mildew. You can tell if you have mould from its distinctive black spots, although mildew is harder to spot. To check for mildew, you can put a few drops of bleach on to the blackened area, and if it lightens after a minute or two, it is mildew. While mildew won’t damage your home, some types of mould can cause rot, which means you have a major problem.
What Can Be Done?
You can use household cleaning products such as bleach to remove minor mould or try natural remedies. The Guardian recommends mixing a little bit of tea tree oil with water and then spraying it on mould and mildew. It is best to leave it on for a while before rinsing with warm soapy water.
But if the mould is particularly bad, you may need to try more rigorous measures or call in an expert. Even if you’re cleaning the mould yourself, you should protect yourself by wearing rubber gloves, goggles and long-sleeved clothing.
If you have a persistent patch which keeps returning, it is a good idea to invest in a ventilator that prevents condensation – such as this one: https://www.restorationuk.com/condensation-products/single-room-heat-recovery-ventilators/product/kair-heat-recovery-room-ventilator-k-hrv150. These replace inside air which is full of moisture with fresh exterior air for condensation control.
Once mould has been removed, you’ll need to scrub all surfaces with a bleach solution and leave them to dry. Use dehumidifiers or fans to dry the areas for a few days and check again for mould. Once it has been eliminated, you should seal wooden surfaces and repaint cleaned walls.